Saturday, May 09, 2009

Sharks and Gorillas!




Last week was one of the best weeks ever! I went to a killer party last Saturday hosted by two of the coolest guys in the world (thanks Jeff and Darren!). On Sunday, I nerded out with some fellow monster enthusiasts and met a great new friend, Michael Roddy. Michael is the producer of the new JAWS documentary, The Shark is Still Working. This is, by far the most comprehensive documentary on one of my favorite films of all time. If you love JAWS or are just a film fan in general , PLEASE check it out. Trust me you'll love it.

Now after the sharks and monsters, you'd think I'd be in nerd overload. Well, you'd be wrong:) Thanks to Michael, I got to visit the legendary home of two of the sweetest people in the world, Bob and Kathy Burns. Bob has one of the most amazing collections of movie props ever. He has everything from Buster Crabbe's Flash Gordon costume to the Queen alien head. However, the most amazing pieces in his collection are the original armatures for King King and Mighty Joe Young!!! As I approached the pedestal they were sitting on, Kathy started giving me instructions on how to HOLD them. When I looked at her stunned, she simply said," What's the point of having them if you can't PLAY with them. The photo above shows how I felt about this incredible honor.

While seeing the collection was cool, spending time with Bob and Kathy was even cooler!

After all of that, I capped the week off watching Star Trek with my mom and dad. Yep, this has pretty much been the best week ever!

12 Comments:

Blogger Uncle Phil said...

wow. You totally added +10 to your geek score this weekend.... and I'm jealous.

10:56 AM  
Blogger drono said...

that's awesome. my pal colt built the base that the kong armature is sitting on. he said it used to be attached to piece of particle board.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Ben Balistreri said...

That's a boss "BuboFett" shirt you've got.

12:25 AM  
Blogger OV! said...

HAHA,

nice.

only you, ben or shane would have appreciated that visit to its fullest. ha

looking good bro! almost didnt recognize you.

>oVi

12:24 PM  
Blogger Chris Battle said...

Big nerd weekend! Very cool-- is TSISW finally getting released? Remember reading about that years ago!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Ramsey said...

Shannon,

I'd love to talk to you about a character design project for Chimera Design: www.chimeradesign.com

How can I reach you?


R-

5:06 PM  
Blogger shannon said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Jay Fabares said...

is that a king of the rocketmen doll to the right????? awesome.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Dave Chlystek said...

Lookin' svelte brother. Keep up the good work.

If you broke Kong, would you have had to buy it?
There goes the house!!!

5:38 PM  
Blogger TotalD said...

Nerdgasm ! Hon, ya gotta change the name to the ol Total D blog ! He's dead, I'm sorry, that chubby fellow has kicked the bucket and is not cohumming back. Nope , he is toast , ash , carbon. The great thing of course is I have his wicked car and all his damn money. I should got to Vegas !

Oh, and where is you beard ?

1:10 PM  
Blogger shannon said...

Hey D,

SORRY! I never think about the blog roll settings. It's now been officially changed.

As for the beard, I lost it along with the 55 lbs of fat I'd been carrying around.

BTW, if you go to Vegas, take me with you!

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home